The Associate Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) works with Interlochen administration, faculty, students, campers and families to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion are integrated throughout every aspect of the Interlochen community and curriculum. In alignment with Interlochen’s mission, the Associate Director will plan and execute new and existing organization-wide DEI initiatives, professional development sessions, policies and systems to foster inclusivity, diversity and equity across campus. The Associate Director of DEI must be passionate and knowledgeable about DEI work and be a strategic leader who works to strengthen and build a holistic DEI strategy for Interlochen.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops and coordinates DEI strategic plan, to include a multi-year roadmap, goals and metrics, and make recommendations to institutional leaders to further advance DEI efforts in all aspects of Interlochen, including the Academy, Summer Camp, Interlochen Online, College of Creative Arts, Interlochen Public Radio, Interlochen Presents and more.
- Develops tools and techniques for monitoring evaluation and outcome measures of diversity initiatives. Outcome measures shall include but not be limited to: number of persons trained, training participant satisfaction, percent increase of diversity in students and campers and diversity retention.
- Serves as institutional representative with Board of Trustees on DEI issues, as well as at local, regional and national events. Serves as on-campus "point person" for students, staff and faculty on DEI concerns while connecting them to existing institutional resources
- Acts as the diversity leader and strategist responsible for positively role modeling desired leadership behaviors.
- Assists the enrollment management team in efforts to recruit, welcome and retain students of diverse backgrounds for Academy and Camp.
- Delivers practical solutions to societal and community issues through innovative programming and events.
- Partners with appropriate departments and staff to advocate for students from diverse cultural backgrounds on matters related to their academic success and social development.
- Develops co-curricular cultural programming events on campus that intentionally connect students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds in an effort to celebrate diversity, encourage dialogue, increase understanding, and reconciliation.
- Partners with faculty and staff on projects and programs impacting diversity representation, inclusion culture, as well as student and parent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of experience administering, planning, designing and delivering programs and practices related to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to lead equity and inclusion work within a large educational community and a complex organization
- Earned confidence and strength in working with and supporting personal and professional development of all constituencies--students, families, faculty, staff, administrators and trustees
- An orientation toward action and solutions
- Experience in change management
- Strong communications skills; superior editing, writing, and critical reasoning skills and ability to influence stakeholders
- Experience working with student populations
If interested in applying please begin your application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page.
Application documents required for this position:
• Resume - required
• Cover letter - required
You can upload this information during the submission of the application process by selecting the "Apply and continue to upload documents" button when you have completed your application.
More information about Interlochen Center for the Arts:
A global destination for artists and arts enthusiasts, Interlochen Center for the Arts nurtures creativity through five dynamic platforms: Interlochen Arts Camp, the renowned summer arts program; Interlochen Arts Academy, the nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school; Interlochen Presents, a producer of more than 600 annual performances by internationally celebrated guest artists, Interlochen students, and faculty; Interlochen Public Radio, two listener-supported, 24-hour public radio stations (classical music and news); and Interlochen College of Creative Arts, a convener for lifelong learning in the arts.
Since 1928, Interlochen’s mission to inspire people worldwide through excellence in the arts and education has produced generations of purposeful creative lives. For more information, visit interlochen.org. Follow Interlochen on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube at @interlochenarts.